What Is Web Development ? Definition & Guide 2023
What is Web Development – In the current era of globalization, the internet benefits many people, organizations, and businesses. One of the uses of the internet for business development is a website. A website is a collection of information on a page on the internet. Many companies use this website to increase company credibility because it contains essential information such as company profiles, offers, promotions, the latest news, and others that can increase audience trust.
Web development is a field that many companies need. Creating a good website usually requires the ability of a web developer. Therefore, the profession of a web developer or website activist has been much sought after.
What Is Web Development?
Web Development is a process of compiling, developing, managing to maintain websites and ensuring the perfection of the user experience and speed. However, web development is the process of creating a website that contains simple to complex text. So, the web development process can include creating a web design, compiling web content from the client or server side, security configuration, to choosing a domain.
Then what is the difference between web development and a web developer? Web developers are professionals or someone who manages a website. Therefore, web developers are closely related to coding using specific programming languages. Such us, Laravel, Python, Reach JS, etc.
Web refers to a website, while development is building an application from scratch. Therefore web development is also classified into two parts.
Web Development Classification
Front-end development is the part of the website. It can interact directly with the audience, and called the “client side.” So, The audience can instantly see a website in terms of design, navigation, content content, opening images, watching videos, etc.
- HTML stands for Hypertext Markup Language. The front end uses HTML to create web pages using a standard markup language. Therefore HTML usually use to create headings and paragraphs. HTML is use to create structure on websites.
- CSS stands for Cascading style sheets, the language used to determine the website’s appearance. You can specify a format style, such as choosing a font type, text color, etc. furthermore other CSS functions include:
- Speeding up web page loading.
- Simplifying code management.
- Offering various display variations.
- Adjusting appearance on all devices used
Back End Development
Back-end development is a part of the website that cannot be seen directly by the audience or can also be called “server-side”. Therefore backend is the side that cannot interact directly with the audience.
The backend is built with digital infrastructure in the form of numbers, letters, and symbols on the website server. The back end uses several more programming languages than the front end. These programming languages like PHP, Python, Node.js, Java, etc.
- PHP stands for Hypertext Preprocessor, which is a scripting programming language. But, it is use only on the server side (backend) for web development. Script writing is a task that instructs static pages with specific actions based on predefined rules.
- Python is the most popular programming language used in many industries. But, use Python can help to integrate systems more quickly and efficiently.
- Java is broader than PHP. Because, Java can be use on multiple platforms without the need to readjust on each platform. So, you can be use it for android applications, websites, and software.
Basic Terms in Web Development Must Know
1. Programming Language for Web Development
A programming language is a set of instructions. Given to a computer to carry out specific tasks. Programming languages are compose of syntax and semantic rules. So, that will be use and translated into logic understood by computers. Therefore it is called computer language.
Programming language will help programmers to determine which data can be process by the computer exactly.
CMS (Content Management System) is software that makes it possible to create websites without using coding. They has a function to manage content on websites more quickly and efficiently. There are several types of CMS that you can use, such as WordPress, Drupal, and Joomla.
A wireframe is a framework or structure for structuring an item from a website that you want to build. So, the framework is in the form of a black-and-white design outline, making it easier for the designer to place the layout visually.
A sitemap is a map that can describe every page on the website. There is a list of all the pages on the website stored in one “XML sitemap” file. So, sitemaps are use to help crawlers find pages in one place that contain all website URLs.
5. User Interface (UI)
In creating a website, it is crucial to have a visual appearance that attracts visitors’ attention, called the user interface. The User Interface is a visual display with shape, layout, graphics, colors, and writing designed very attractively. So, your website can be design more attractively and beautifully. Therefore, it will help visitors have a good impression and user experience.
6. User Experience (UX)
User experience is the user’s feelings and experiences in using your websites, such as the experience of interacting with users or the ease of getting the desired information. So, good user experience or UX can be seen from 3 things: ease of use, accessibility, and convenience.